School PD Requirements in Iowa

What professional development requirements does a school in Iowa need to meet?

Schools in IA have many recommended and mandated staff development for teachers and staff, including:

  • Multicultural Gender Fair Approaches (MCGF), Diverse Learners training. To meet the professional needs of all staff, staff development activities must prepare all employees to work effectively with diverse learners and to implement multicultural, gender fair approaches to the educational program.
  • The board of directors of a school district must provide annual, evidence-based training at least one hour in length on suicide prevention and postvention.
  • Periodic professional development shall be offered for all classroom teachers about individualizing programs for gifted and talented students.

How do I get free clock hours for teachers in my school?

IA schools can enroll their teachers in Keeping Kids Safe, a free clock hour class. This free online PD course is a great introduction to recognizing and preventing human trafficking for educators.

Get ConnectedPD


online PD for schoolsLooking for online continuing education for one educator?
Check out 100% online PD at!


How do I contact the IA Department of Education?
Contact the Iowa Department of Education
Grimes State Office Building
400 East 14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319-0146


Disclaimer: Please ensure the information and courses meet requirements for your school and circumstances and align with what your state Department of Education requires. The new continuing education information and school PD requirements in Iowa listed on this page are current as of July 9th, 2021 to meet the best information available. State professional development  requirements and may change and it is your responsibility as a school administrator to know your state staff development requirements and the process for submission and approval of all professional and staff development hours. Professional Learning Board can not guarantee acceptance by your school, district, state Department of Education or local authority.

Back to Top